Southern Tablelands Arts Artist-in-Residence (STA AiR)
5 distinct residency opportunities across the Southern Highlands & Tablelands of regional NSW.
The STA AiR program is open to all professional artists from all disciplines, individually or in groups.
The program embraces Visual Artists, Performers, Writers, Musicians and multi-disciplinary practises and supports new work, research and collaborations inspired by the host venue and location.
The STA AiR program is open to all Artists living within Australia. Those living within the STA region* are particularly encouraged to apply.
There are five AiR opportunities on offer at five partner locations.
Each residency will take place between Monday 12 July – Sunday 25 July 2021 (or dates as negotiated. Residency must begin by the end of July).
Each successful applicant will receive a two week residency which includes:-
- Artist fee of $4000 ($2000 per week)
- Travel support of up to $1400
- Accommodation support of up to $2000 (for three of the five residencies. Accommodation is provided for Shaw Wines and GRAG residencies)
- Materials budget for use at any public program and over the residency of $1000
- Funding toward half day public program (optional). This may take the form of a workshop, public event or performance as proposed by the successful Artist/s $550
31 March – Applications Open
5 May – Applications Close
17 May – Applicants Notified
Residency Monday 12 July – Sunday 25 July 2021 (or dates as negotiated with STA and venue)
Applications are currently closed.
This webpage (and those linked therein) are the full guidelines for the STA Artist in Residence program. Further information can be gained by contacting STA.
- Each AiR is self directed and may include optional public programs as proposed by the Artist.
- Artists are asked to consider the unique qualities of each of the five venues and nominate the location that best supports their practice and/or protect
- Each AiR will run concurrently 12-25 July. If these dates do not suit Artists may still apply and nominate alternative dates before the end of July. Please contact STA in this regard before you submit your proposal.
- Artists are responsible for securing their own local accommodation to conduct their residency at three of the five venues. Please read further details about accommodation in each of the venue pages. In this case accommodation costs are reimbursed up to $2000.
- Artists will be responsible for their own travel to, during and from the residency, travel costs are reimbursed up to $1400
- Each residency location is in regional NSW and public transport options are limited. Transport and transfers are the responsibility of artists and as such STA recommend a private or hire vehicle is an important consideration.
- All venues will provide a studio/workspace and access to a kitchen and amenities while on site.
- Each venue will vary in terms of facilities and access to staff.
- The Southern Highlands and Tableland regions of regional NSW experience low temperatures in winter. AiR studio spaces vary and Artists are asked to be prepared for cold weather.
- 31 March – Applications Open
- 5 May – Applications Close
- 17 May – Applicants Notified
- Residency Monday 12 July – Sunday 25 July 2021 (or dates as negotiated with STA and venue)
Who can Apply
The STA AiR program is open to professional artists from all disciplines, individually or in groups. The program supports new work, research and collaborations inspired by the host venue and location. The program is open to artists living within Australia, those living within the STA regional area are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applicants must be available to take up the residency between 12 -25 July or if an earlier is preferred, please contact STA to discuss.
Applications are currently closed.
How to Apply
An online application form will ask the following:
Name, contact details, Identity information.
Residency must be taken between the 12 -25 of July. Or at another time as agreed. Flexible dates may be available for certain venues. Please indicate on the form which dates you would like (must begin before the end of July). These dates will be considered as part of your application, taking into account venue and accommodation availability.
Preferred residency location
Your art form
The primary artform you will use the residency to work on.
Your current work
Include links to current projects and bodies of work.
How do you feel this residency will improve your practice.
Outline what you hope to achieve during your residency.
Any Additional information to support your application. Artists will be required to have current public liability insurance. If you need advice on obtaining this you can contact us.
upload or link to current cv and bodies of work.
Optional: workshop, public event or performance
This will be paid at an additional $550. The materials budget of $1,000 must cover all costs associated with this optional program.
The STA Air Program is proudly funded by the NSW Government through Arts Restart.
*Southern Tablelands Arts works with six contributing local government areas of; Goulburn Mulwaree, Hilltops, Upper Lachlan Shire, Wingecarribee Shire, Wollondilly Shire and Yass Valley.